Oregon State Liaison
2393 SW Park Place #201
Portland, OR 97205
Michael Burton is Chair of the Oregon Lincoln Bicentennial Commission. He is Vice Provost and Dean of the Extended Campus at Portland State University. While most of his career has been in higher education, Burton has extensive public service experience as well. He served as the elected Chief Executive Officer for the Portland areas regional government, Metro, serving two terms leading that government body. Prior to that, he served five terms in the Oregon House of Representatives. Burton was a member of Governor Bob Straub’s staff in the 1970’s and helped implement Oregon’s Land Use laws, the first in the nation.
Burton has served on the Northwest Council of the President’s Council for Sustainability, the Heinz Center “State of the Nation’s Ecosystem” study group and the International Marshall Fund Transportation Council. He currently serves as chair of the Oregon Criminal Justice Commission and the Governor’s Council for Veteran ’s Services. Burton holds an undergraduate degree in business, and graduate degrees in education and history. His doctoral studies focused on the history Oregon’s land use laws. Burton is a retired Air Force officer, having served combat tours in Vietnam.
- November 15, 2008 Lincoln Remembrance Day at Lone Fir Pioneer Cemetery. Presentation of Gettysburg Address and rededication of Civil War veterans graves
- Feb 5 Dinner with Abraham and Mary Todd at the Western Culinary Institute-- fund raiser
- Feb 7 OLBC History Day at Memorial Coliseum local history groups and focus on Lincoln’s Links to Oregon and the West
- Feb 10 Town Hall in Philomath
- Feb 11 Lincoln Dinner in Bend
- Feb 12: Joint legislative declaration with Washington, Idaho, and Montana declaring Lincoln as honorary Territorial Governor
- Town Hall Event in Bend
- Lincoln Birthday card event at Pioneer Square, Portland
- Rededication of Lincoln Statue the Park Blocks, Portland
- Lincoln and Slavery presentation by Professor James Mohr, Eugene
- State Wide Essay Contest deadline.
- Feb 13 With the Oregon Historical Society: Doris Kern Goodwin speaks on “A Team of Rivals” Newmark Theater, Portland
- March 30 Announce winners of essay contest: $1500 first prize, $500 second place for each of Oregon’s 5 congressional districts
- March 30 Richard Carwardine speaker on Power and Politics at Portland State University.
For more information, visit www.ous.edu/lincoln